Check Status of your Passport

If you have applied for a passport, you can check the status of your application online 7 to 10 days after applying. It may take some time to get your passport which may vary throughout the year. However, there may be special treatments for emergency cases.

For further questions regarding passports and emergency applications, you can contact the National Passport Information Center.

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

For every passport application of children under the age of 18, the US Department of State’s Children Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) will notify the parent or guardian of the participating child. This notification will verify whether the legal parent(s) or guardian approve of this passport.

However, this program does will not limit the issuance of a passport to the child, neither will this track nor restrict the use of the issued passport. For further information regarding this program, you can contact the Department State’s Office of Children’s Issues.

Denial of a U.S. Passport Application

The US Department of State can deny your application for issuance or renewal of a US Passport due to the following reasons:

  1. Being subjected to foreign extradition requests to be hander over to the foreign state or country in which you may have been accused or convicted of a crime.
  2. Due to certain court orders and declarations
  3. Revoke of a previous passport.
  4. Defaulted on an assistance loan from the Department of State. This loan should be paid first, or be arranged to be paid.
  5. If you owe child support.
  6. If you are behind on your child support payments, you must reach agreements with the appropriate child support agency in each state where you owe more than $2,500 in child support. Your passport application or renewal will be processed once you pay the debt or make an arrangement to do so. Then the denial request is withdrawn by the state.

This process will approximately take two to three weeks. The Department of State is only able to hold denied applications for 90 days and after that, a new passport application and fee payment will be required. If you need further information about this, you cay contact the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Child Support Enforcement.

Finding Lost or Stolen Foreign or US Passport

In returning a lost or stolen passport, you can do the following.

If you find a US Passport within the United States, you can mail the passport to:


U.S. Department of State


4th Floor

1150 Passport Services PL

Dulles, VA 20189-1150

If you find a US passport while you are in another country, you can return the passport to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

If you find a foreign passport in the United States, you can look for the issuing country’s embassy and consulate and return the passport.

Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

If your passport was stolen or lost, report this immediately. You may report your lost or stolen passport in person, online, or on the phone  toll free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793). If you are, however, putaide of the country, you can contact the nearest US Embassy of Consulate so the proper authorities can help you replace the lost or stolen passport.

If you lost your passport and you have a trio scheduled within 2 weeks, there is another procedure you can follow. To find more information on reolacing your passport, visit the Department of State’s US passports site.