To help expedite your international-travel, you can learn about Trusted Traveler Programs while the Department of Homeland Security offers several options based on how you and how frequent you travel.


When visiting another country:

  • An International Driving Permit (IDP)or similar document may be required
  • American Driver’s License is valid in U.S. and Canada. Another country’s embassy or consulate should be contacted if you plan to visit.
  • Car rental companies have information about driving and auto insurance documents.

Get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

An Inter-American Driving Permit is also offered by the AAA, it is required in Brazil, Uruguay, and other countries in the Western Hemisphere.


Every country has a specified currency value for money depending on their economic status; they also have their own monetary system in terms or trade and commercial. Before visiting a foreign country, it is recommended that you are aware of their money and have their currency at hand.

Exchanging Currency

There are different options when purchasing currency:

  • There are currency conversion tools online that can help you compare the currency value of a foreign country to yours and a weekly list that shows currency values of around 20 countries against the value of U.S. dollars from the Federal Reserve Board
  • Local banks and travel agencies can give you information about foreign countries’ currency
  • Most international airports and trains stations have currency exchange booths, ATMs and exchange vending machines. Some agencies have additional charges when exchanging a foreign currency.

Credit card companies should be contacted if you wish to use your credit cards overseas.

Overseas Emergency Help for Americans

Visit “Get Help in an Emergency” on Department of State (DOS) website if you are a U.S. citizen or a relative who needs help abroad. They assist during emergencies such as:

  • Lost & Stolen Passports
  • Medical Emergencies
  • Victims of Crime
  • Arrest & Detention
  • Missing Persons & Contacting Loved Ones
  • Parental Child Abductions
  • Death Abroad
  • Natural Disasters

Financial Assistance

If you need money transferred or wired, the Department of State (DOS) can assist you. A U.S. Embassy or Consulate or DOS can help you via temporary loan if you have no other way of getting money.

A loan from DOS or a U.S. Embassy or consulate should be repaid immediately. For questions, contact Global Financial Services by e-mail at or call 1-800-521-2116 (1-843-746-0592 from abroad)


To receive latest travel updates and information, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP):


U.S. Territories

Here are some of the requirements if you’re a U.S. citizen going to:

  • Guam– American passport, even if flying from Hawaii.
  • American Samoa– American passport
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands – even without an American Passport
  • S. Virgin Islands – if from U.S. mainland or Puerto Rico, an American passport is not required
  • Puerto Rico – if coming from within the US, no need for an American Passport

A valid passport and other valid travel documents are required for non-U.S. citizens.

Freely Associated States

Freely Associated States are countries that were used to be administered by the U.S. government. Presently considered foreign countries and visitors are required to have a passport to enter.


There are countries that require visas for entry even for U.S. citizens. You can contact a foreign embassy or consulate before travelling to find out if:

  • If a visa is required for entry and when you should apply.
  • Any other requirements before entry

Find additional information in the U.S. Department of State’s information document for the country.