There are two broad classes when the Department of State issues visas for foreigners entering the country:

A transit visa is needed if you are traveling through the U.S. to another country.

The moment you have entered the country, you will no longer need a visa to travel to different states. But you will still need a visa to visit the following Freely Associated States:

If you are going to the embassy or consulate, all required documents must be brought including fees and reciprocal issuance fees.


Valid travel documents are a part of entry procedure when entering the country. The documents you are required to bring depends on the country you are from, your status and you’re your citizenship.

Arrival from Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda

Foreigners travelling from Canada, Mexico and Bermuda are covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (PDF, Download Adobe Reader):

Arrival from Other Countries

  • Regardless of citizenship and status, all people entering the United States from other countries must present their passport.
  • Before travelling, permanent residents and foreign nationals must present their S. visa
  • Research before bringing food, pets and medication to the U.S. 

Entry Denials

Standard inspection procedures will be made by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers for all people entering the country. They have the discretion to allow your entry or not even if you have all necessary documents.

There is no written law on prohibiting pregnant visitors from entering the country. CBP officers consider one’s pregnancy when deciding on permit to enter.

For more information, contact Customs and Border Protection



Refugees are people who left their home for various reasons such as, persecution and war ad they seek to find protection elsewhere.

If you are a refugee and in need of protection, contact the following:


It is a protection for refugees but there are eligibility requirements to request asylum in the United States. Once granted, you can: