How To Apply For Readmission After Being Deported From The US

How To Apply For Readmission After Being Deported From The US


There are a lot of reasons why a non-citizen is being deported from the US. If you happen to be a foreigner in this country and have been subjected to deportation, you cannot reenter the US territory. This may be for five (5) years up to a lifetime, depending on the reason for removal, such as committing a crime. Deportation is applied and issued by either an immigration court or an officer at the airport or at the border.

On the other hand, if you reentered the US after being deported without permission, this is also a federal crime known as illegal reentry. You will immediately be sent back to the country where you have come from. If you want to reenter the US legally, here are some of the things you must know.

Ways On How To Reenter The US Again

  • If you have a relative who is a US citizen
  • If you are married to a US Citizen
  • If you received a job offer from the US

Along with these three (3) grounds, you are required to submit several documents to certify that any of these grounds are true and correct. You will be asked to submit birth certificates, marriage contracts or job contracts. If you have a relative that happens to be a US citizen, he or she must also submit a certified true copy of Alien Registration Number or a birth certificate that proves his/her US citizenship.

Application for readmission with these grounds is applicable even if the non-citizen still has a waiting time of removal. The non-citizen is also advised to complete the Form I-212 or Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the US.

What Is Form I-212?

Form I-212 is an application to reenter the US territory after being deported. This application has also restrictions depending on the merits of your request. All the documents needed must be presented along with this form. For example, if you are applying for reentry for the reason that you have been married to a US citizen, you will be required to submit an authenticated copy of your marriage certificate and other documents certifying that you legally married.


However, for people who have been deported due to crime, they are required to file a Form I-601 or an Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility. This must be submitted to the previous immigration officer where the hearing was held. A non-citizen must file this application with the American Consul processing the visa application if he is outside the US. This can also be filed in the local office that has the authority over your place of residence prior to departure from the United States.

Hiring An Immigration Lawyer

Since applying for a reentry is a complicated process, it is best recommended to hire an immigration lawyer. An experienced and reliable lawyer has the capacity to grant you the second chance of returning back to the US since he has the knowledge of the step-by-step process for readmission.


In this article

Look for Service Providers of

in Go
Add your business