APPLY FOR, RENEW, OR REPLACE A GREEN CARD
- Confirms your official immigration status in the country
- Guarantees you specific rights and responsibilities
- Required for those who want to naturalize as a U.S. Citizen
For questions regarding Green Cards, contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Apply for a Green Card
- Find out if you’re eligible.
- If you are eligible, fileForm I-485 – Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS and present all required documents
- Your application will be reviewed by USCIS and will call you for an interview
- Upon issuance, 10 year validity of your Green Card is ensured
Renew or Replace a Green Card
When should you renew or replace your Green Card
- Renew your Green Cardif your current card expired or will expire in the next six months.
- Replace your Green Cardfor a number of reasons, including loss or theft.
Beware of Scams
Scammers and fraudsters are always around the corner ready to come into the picture when they notice applicants who are not familiar with the process; they will not only take your information but your money as well. Learn about common immigration scams and identity fraud.
Documents issued in the country can be brought and presented to other countries. Documents such as court orders, contracts, vital records, and educational diplomas are included.
Different states in the country have different processes in releasing such documents and other significant factors. You can check with your state’s Document Authentication Agency (DAA) and Authentications and Apostilles for more information.
For more information, details on a procedure, or status, call the DOS Office of Authentications at 1-202-485-8000, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM ET, Monday through Friday.
DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT VISA LOTTERY PROGRAM
The Green card Lottery or the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) Program, grants Green Cards to a limited number of eligible immigrants.
If you are interested to participate:
- Every year, the government opens a registration period, free of charge; you just have to Complete the electronic entry form.
- You will be given a confirmation number which you will use to check the status of your registration. Once lost, you can recover your confirmation number.
Registration Periods and DV lottery Results
You can check your status for results of the lottery in 2014 and 2015.
Due to the increasing number of fraudulent e-mails and letters sent to DV program applicants; the government does not send e-mail notifications for successful applicants.
SPONSOR A FOREIGN SPOUSE, FUTURE SPOUSE, OR RELATIVE
You status will determine who you can sponsor.
Refugees or asylees within the past two years:
- certain family members to obtain refugee or asyleestatus.
Relatives or members of U.S. military:
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS FOR FOREIGN RESIDENTS RETURNING TO THE U.S.
For Green Card holders and foreign citizens living in the country; additional documents are required to return to the country after travelling overseas. These are the documents you should secure before your trip from the USCIS:
Permanent and Conditional Residents
- One year or longer absence
- Form I-131 – Application for Travel Document for re-entry permit application
- For permanent residents: two years validity from date of issuance and up to two years for Conditional Residents
- Less than a year absence
- No additional document
- Present your Green Card
All Other Foreign Citizens Living in the U.S.
- For all document requirements, you can contact USCIS and your country’s embassy or consulate
For assistance if you travelled without a travel document; contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)