People who wish to travel internationally, regardless of age must have a passport.

Passport Book or Passport Card

  • Passport bookneeded for all international travels
  • Passport cardis cheaper and more convenient that the book and is needed to enter the U.S. at land border crossings or sea-ports-of-entry from:
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Caribbean
  • Bermuda

Apply for a Passport Book

Start the process with any of the following:

**Do not sign the forms unless you are instructed

Apply for a Passport Card

If you have a Passport book:

Use online application form or download form DS-82 (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) and apply by mail.

If you have never had a U.S. passport book:

Use online application form or download form DS-11 (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) and must apply in person.

Find a Passport Facility

After completing the application; bring your application to a passport facility personally:

Find out what forms of payment the facility accepts. Remember to bring the following:

Contact a  U.S. Embassy or Consulate for information if you are a U.S. citizen living abroad and need a passport.

U.S. Passports for Minors (16 and below)

Parental consent is required if your child is a minor under the age of 16 and must:

  • Accompany your child(ren).
  • Co-sign the application.
  • Provide additional documentation, including proof of parental consent.

Passports of minors are valid up to five years and must be reapplied personally.


Passport application processing times varies, but you can get a passport in an emergency.  Check the status of your passport application online 7-10 days after applying.

For questions, contact the National Passport Information Center.


Family Emergency

Family emergencies requiring you to travel out of the country in 24-48 hours entitles you to get a passport faster. These includes serious illness, injury or death of an immediate family.

The Regional Passport Agencies are the only offices that can process such request and an appointment should be made with the National Passport Information Center (NPIC).

The NPIC is only open during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 10 PM, Eastern time; 1-877-487-2778 FREE (TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793). If you are calling after 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on weekends and holidays, call 1-202-647-4000 and the operator will help you make an appointment with your closest Passport Agency.

Expedited Service

For scheduled trips outside the country scheduled in two weeks, visit Regional Passport Agency or call National Passport Information Center’s automated service for an appointment.

If the trip is not within two weeks but you need a passport faster than the regular process, ask for expedited service.  You can:

The extra cost for shortening the processing time is $60, plus any delivery costs.


You can renew your U.S. passport book and/or passport card. You cannot renew if your current passport was:

  • Issued before your 16th birthday.
  • Issued 15 or more years ago.
  • Lost or stolen.

A new passport must be applied for personally for these cases.

Passports must be renewed 9 months prior to expiry because some countries require passport to remain valid for up to six months from date of travel. Some are not allowed to travel if this requirement is not met.

How to Renew Your Passport

You can renew by mail if you live in the United States or Canada, you can do one of the following:

Then mail the renewal form with supporting documents (including a passport photo), and passport fees, to the address printed on the form.

The Passport Services Office returns official documents submitted as supporting documentation either with or separate from the passport.

How to Renew Your Passport from Outside the U.S.

If you live outside the country; contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for information.


Lost or stolen passport must immediately be reported:

Lost or stolen passport can be reported in persononline, or on the phone toll free at 1-877-487-2778 FREE (TTY 1-888-874-7793 FREE). Process varies if your trip is within two weeks. He process on how to replace your lost or stolen passport is on the Department of State’s U.S. Passports site.

If you are outside the country, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.