A green card is one of the things that could prove that you are permanently residing lawfully in the United States. People who are legally working in the U.S. have this kind of card and may serve as their identification card. There are many people who want to have a green card for their step to citizenship. If you are one of the people who want this card, here are some ways for you to get one.
Relatives Of United States Citizen
People who are the immediate family member of a U.S. citizen can be entitled to have a green card. There are qualifications for people who are under this category. You are qualified if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen. It includes the widows and widowers. If marriage for same sex is legal in the state where you belong, it is also a valid reason for you to have a green card.
If your parent is a U.S. citizen and you are minor or aged under 21 years old, you are also qualified to be a green card holder. You are also qualified if you are adopted by a U.S. citizen couple before you turn 16 years of age. Also, stepchildren of U.S. citizen people can be eligible for a green card.
Your employer also has the power to give you a green card. There are preferences that will categorize people who are qualified to have a green card under this scenario:
- 1st Preference: If you are a priority worker within a company, this is applicable for you to have a green card. Outstanding researchers and professors are also clustered in this category.
- 2nd Preference: People having an advanced degree belong in this category. Also, people with exceptional ability are included here.
- 3rd Preference: If you belong to the group of skilled workers or professionals, this category is for you. There are also other qualified workers that belong in this category.
- 4th Preference: People who are special immigrants, like those religious vocations, are included in this category.
- 5th Preference: This is the last category which includes the investor and the entrepreneurs types, or the employment creation immigrants.
Based On Asylum Status
If you are a refugee, the law requires you to apply for a green card after one year of being admitted to the U.S. with the status of a refugee. This law also applies to people who are the son or daughter of refugees.
Asylum is a type of security and assistance which are given to foreign nationals who have been prosecuted. These people can apply for their green card as asylum whatever immigration status they have.
Lottery For Green Card
This may apply in certain countries where the U.S. government issues 50,000 permanent green cards. This happens every year by using the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program or DV Lottery. Applicants are randomly selected for this application in a computer system. If someone is selected, he or she and his or her family will have the authorization to work and live in the United States permanently.
There are many ways to have a green card. All you have to do is to be informed and know what to do in order for you to be a green card holder.